Uteo bowl (Dark blue/white)NGU-uteo10
HANDMADE IN KENYA
We hope you like our collection of beautiful uteo bowls. The bowls or baskets measure D30 x H9 cm. Use it as a fruit basket, for storing vegetables or as a wall decoration in any room in your home.
The basket is made of reeds. It is handcrafted using a traditional braiding technique and naturally dyed via a manual process. Uteo is Swahili means "wind hill". The Uteo basket was traditionally used to toss the grain into the air to allow the wind to dislodge chaff and debris. Uteo baskets are found in almost every Kenyan household and today are mostly used for storage and to decorate the home.
When you buy a uteo bowl, you help ensure proper, meaningful and dignified jobs for women in Kenya. The women are guaranteed work through Nugvu, which is a socially responsible company, where they receive a fair wage and at the same time help preserve an old craft tradition.
- Dimensions: D30 x H9 cm (bottom D14 cm)
- A fortune of reeds is found on the basket so it can be hung up
- Mock braid of reeds
- Nnaturally dyed via a manual process
- Use the fruit basket to store vegetables or as a wall decoration
- Handmade by women in Kenya
The basket is made of reeds, which in this case come from reed beds western Kenya around Lake Victoria. The reed should preferably be moist when used for basket weaving. That way, it is more flexible and easier to work with.
Since the products are handmade, no two products will ever be exactly alike. We hope that you will appreciate the little features of the products and their history as much as we do – and we hope that you will be able to enjoy them for many years to come.
- Shake your basket regularly
- If you spill water on the basket, remove it with a dry cloth
- Be aware that the basket may lose color if it is left in direct sunlight